Monday, August 31, 2020

Grammar in Context?

I came across an article discussing the appropriate uses of punctuation for texts. The author argued that texts are short bursts of ideas, not extended discussions. As a result, he commended the different punctuation strategies used by younger cohorts. For example, a period is unnecessary in a text because the text itself is the complete thought. If a period is used, he sees it used for emphasis as in "Oh. My. God." 

These alternate uses initially irritated me, but I have jumped on the bandwagon. I think that these innovations in punctuation, spelling and grammar empower the new modes of communication. At one time, I didn't understand why people even texted and now I use texts at many multiples of phone call usage. I've noticed that I've already applied these rules to other domains.

For example, I have long discovered that my writing is dramatically different than my speaking. It was not always so. Right after college, I was engaged in a conversation and used a word most suitable for written works. My acquaintance asked me what the word meant. After I explained it, he asked me "well, why didn't you say that?" 

On the other side of this, I don't recall ever using profanity in a written document. But conversations laced with profanity are regular fare. I recall a former Baylor University president once told me that "profanity represents a lack of vocabulary." I only really agree with that somewhat pompous statement as it relates to written expression. Profanity does things verbally that punctuation do in written form. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it!)

Of course, all of this has a "self-serving bias." As someone who started out going to speech class for a speech impediment, I welcomed my move to the South with its conversational idiosyncrasies that aligned with my innate tendencies and have never looked back to an indistinct second person plural.

No comments: